Every now and then an idea comes along that may sound a little weird, but once you give it a try it blows your mind. Here is one of those ideas. Mac and cheese waffles! Now hear me out, it isn’t a waffle per se. The mac and cheese waffle doesn’t have a batter, nor is it sweet, or was it meant to be a breakfast food.Instead think of thisthe best creamy baked mac and cheese you’ve ever had. Now think of those corner and edge pieces that are made up of the best of both worlds. Crispy cooked cheese, slightly crunchy pasta and gooey cheese. There you have it, that my friends is a mac and cheese waffle.Ok, to the basics of mac and cheese waffle making. Use a basic recipe for mac and cheese (easy one below), or go all out and make a gourmet version or even use store boughtor dare I say, store bought boxed mac and cheese. Whatever you use, make it as you normally would and then place in a pan sprayed baking sheet. Smooth out into one layer and cool completely in the refrigerator.Once cooled the rest is easy. Cut into squares smaller than the griddle of the waffle iron you plan to use. Set the waffle iron temperature to medium heat. Spray waffle iron with pan release, place in one square, add a little bacon and cheddar (or whatever you are feeling) and close it up. Cook to your liking, slightly crisp and still gooey or go for the full crisp effect. Either way your mind will be blown that you have never done this before.Find more great recipes like these from Chef Troy on his website www.cheftroy.net, and be sure to watch Troy live every Tuesday morning on WCCB Charlotte’s morning show News Rising from 7-9 am.
Mac and Cheese Waffles
One Batch-Basic Mac & Cheese-recipe below
Never miss a local story.
6 Strips-Bacon-sliced into strips, cooked and drained
2 Cups-Cheddar Cheese-shredded
Directions1. Make mac and cheese according to recipe.
2. Place on a sheet tray, spread into one layer and place in refrigerator to cool completely.
3. Preheat waffle iron to medium.
4. Cut cooled mac and cheese into 8 equal 4”x4” squares.
5. Equally distribute cheddar/bacon on four of the squares and top with remaining mac and cheese squares.
6. Spray waffle iron with pan release and place on one stack of mac and cheese.
7. Close lid and cook until warmed through, should be melted and crispy.
8. Repeat with remaining mac and cheese stacks and serve.
Basic Mac & Cheese 3 Tablespoons-Unsalted Butter
1/2 Pound-Shell Pasta
1 1/2 Cups-Heavy Cream/whole milk/2% Milk
To Taste-Kosher Salt/Black Pepper
2 Cups-Cheddar Cheese-shredded (about 8 oz.)Directions1. Cook pasta one minute under package instructions.
2. Drain and cool, by running cold water over pasta, until completely cooled.
3. Leave in strainer while making sauce.
4. Melt butter over medium heat, add pasta and toss to coat.
5. Add heavy cream, salt/pepper and raise heat to medium high heat.
6. When cream begins to thicken add cheese, toss to melt.
7. Place in individual dishes or on a serving platter and serve.