Documents needed to enroll a student in CMS
▪ New Student Enrollment form
▪ Birth certificate or other proof of age and legal name
▪ Proofs of Mecklenburg County residency
Never miss a local story.
▪ Safe Schools Enrollment Declaration (available on CMS website; required for transfers into CMS)
▪ Current immunization records
▪ Health assessment (required for new pre-K and kindergarten students)
Under state law, students must be 5 years of age on or before Aug. 31 to be considered for kindergarten. For Montessori pre-K programs, students must be 4 on or before Aug. 31.
The district offers enrollment assistance for international students through its International Center at Smith Family Center, 1600 Tyvola Road, 980-343-3784. www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/ci/ells/ic.
In North Carolina, universal public education starts at kindergarten, although some schools offer prekindergarten programs. Contact CMS for a list of schools offering pre-K and for entrance requirements into these programs.
More information: http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/Pages/default.aspx.
2016-17 CMS Calendar
First day of school: Aug. 29
Labor Day holiday: Sept. 5
Teacher workdays: Oct. 31, Nov. 8
Veterans Day holiday: Nov. 11
Thanksgiving break: Nov. 23-25
Winter break: Dec. 22-Jan. 2
Martin Luther King Jr. holiday: Jan. 16
Teacher workdays: Jan. 3, Jan. 24, Feb. 17, Feb. 20
Spring break: April 10-14
Teacher workdays: March 31, April 7
Memorial Day holiday: May 29
Last day of school: June 9