The flavors of fall, especially pumpkin (real pumpkin that is), are so short lived that taking advantage of it becomes quite inspiring. On every holiday table there will be a pumpkin pie, whether store bought or homemade with using canned pumpkin. The thought of using freshly roasted pumpkin may seem like a daunting task to some, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. Half the pumpkin, scoop out the seeds, drizzle with a little oil, season and roast on a sheet try for about an hour; that’s all there is to it. The fresh roasted pumpkin can be used to make an amazing pumpkin pie; however, give this super simple Italian classic a try for something a bit different. This tiramisu is smooth, creamy and will let the pumpkin shine through. The hint of amaretto pulls the whole thing together for a one of a kind, unforgettable, sure fired dessert for any occasion.
Roasted Pumpkin Amaretto Tiramisu
1 pound cream cheese, softened
½ cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup Amaretto flavored creamer
1 ½ cups roasted pumpkin seed recipe, or canned
24 each-Lady Fingers
2 cups Amaretto flavored coffee, cold
Amaretto cookies, crushed
coco powder, in a shaker to dust
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Half pumpkin, scoop out seeds and lightly oil inside flesh of pumpkin.
3. Season flesh with salt/pepper and place on a foil lined baking tray, cut side down.
4. Roast for 45 minutes to one hour or until tender, remove from oven.
5. Let pumpkin cool just long enough to handle, scoop out flesh and place in a bowl until ready to use.
6. 1 Pound of raw pumpkin yields about 1 cup of roasted pumpkin
7. Place the bowl of a stand up mixer in the freezer for 15 minutes. Remove from freezer and add all of the ingredients for the fillings and mix until well incorporated, about 2 to 3 minutes. The filling should be smooth, light and fluffy.
8. Place the coffee in a flat bottom dish.
9. Take 12 lady fingers, one at a time, dip and roll quickly being careful not to over soak, begin laying the soaked fingers flat in a 8” x8” dish in one even layer.
10. Divide the filling in half. Place one half on top of the first layer of lady fingers. Smooth into an even layer, add some of the crushed Amaretto cookies on top of the filling.
11. Repeat by dipping and rolling the remaining lady fingers and place on top of the first layer. Top with the remaining half of the filling and smooth out flat. Place in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 2 hours.
12. Reserve the remaining coffee to garnish.
13. To serve, cut into 9 equal pieces. Remove by using a flat metal spatula. Dip into warm water, wipe dry and removing the first piece from the pan.
14. Drizzle a little of the reserved Amaretto coffee on a small plate, place one piece of the tiramisu in the middle of the plate, dust with cocoa powder, top with crushed Amaretto cookies and serve.