Here are a few recipes for the big game, or for any party that deserves something a little more than normal. For more great recipe ideas from Chef Troy visit www.cheftroy.net; and tune in every Tuesday to watch his live cooking show on Fox News Rising 7-9 am on Fox Charlotte. To watch the video of these recipes visit Tuesdays with Troy.
Whiskey Onion and Crab Cornbread Fritter BallsFritter Balls
6 Ounces-Crab Meat-claw or back fin
¼ Cup-Yellow onions (cut into half moons)
1/2 Tablespoon-Unsalted Butter
1/2 Tablespoon-Brown Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon-Kosher Salt
1/8 Teaspoon-Cayenne Pepper
1/4Cup-Jack Daniels Whiskey- black label Corn Bread
1/2 Cup-Yellow Corn Meal
1/2 Cup-All Purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon-Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon-Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon-Kosher Salt
1/4 Teaspoon-Black Pepper
2 Each-Large Egg
2 Tablespoon-Unsalted Butter-melted Directions
1. Preheat a large sauté pan or stock pot on medium high heat.
2. Melt butter and add onions, salt, brown sugar and cayenne pepper.
3. Continue to cook onions until reduce by half their size, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. When pan is almost dry add whiskey and reduce heat to very low heat.
5. Continue to stir and cook onions until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
6. Allow to cool slightly and chop fine.
7. Preheat a deep fat fryer to 360 degrees
8. In a large mixing bowl combine corn meal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and black pepper.
9. In a separate bowl combine milk, butter and egg.
10. Slowly add milk/egg mixture to dry ingredients while mixing together.
11. Add whiskey onions to corn bread mixture along with crab and fold together with a rubber spatula
12. Using a 2 ounce portion scoop or a spoon begin gently dropping cornbread mixture fryer.
13. Fry in batches until golden brown, flipping during once.
14. Drain on paper towel lined plate and serve.
Fried Pimento Cheese Stuffed Risotto BallsMakes about 10 Risotto
4 Cups-Cooked Risotto-cooled, or leftover rice
2 Tablespoons-Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley-leaves only, chopped fine
1 Tablespoon-Crushed Red Pepper
1 Cup-Sharp Cheddar Cheese-grated
1 Cup-Pepper Jack Cheese-grated
2 Each-Green Onion-ends removed, sliced thin
3 Tablespoons-Pimentos-chopped Breading
3 to 4 Cups-Panko Breadcrumbs
1 ½ Quart-Canola Oil
1. In a food processor or by hand combine all ingredients for pimento cheese.
2. Place in refrigerator to firm up, this can be done a day or two ahead of time.
3. Pre-heat oil in a large stock pot to 360 degrees.
4. In a mixing bowl combine risotto/rice with parsley, crushed red pepper and egg.
5. Form risotto/rice into balls, about the size of a golf ball.
6. Make an indention with your thumb in the side of risotto ball.
7. Scoop a tablespoon or so of pimento cheese and place into the indention and reform ball to enclose.
8. Dredge balls in this order flour, egg and bread crumbs.
9. Place a ball or two in a slotted spoon.
10. Lower into preheated oil and cook until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
11. Drain on a paper towel lined sheet tray, serve warm.
Chicken Meatballs Sliders with Garlicky Buffalo SauceSliders
2 Pounds-Boneless/Skinless Chicken Thighs-cubed
¼ Cup-Green Onion-thin slice
2 Cloves-Garlic-chopped fine
To Taste-Kosher Salt/Black Pepper
½ Cup-Panko Breadcrumbs
½ Cup-Blue Cheese-crumbled
25 Each-Slider Buns-or soft bun cut to size with a biscuit cutter Garlicky Buffalo Sauce
8 Ounces-Sour Cream
2 Tablespoons-Hot Sauce
3 Cloves Garlic-chopped very fine
2 Tablespoons-Olive Oil, plus extra
1 Each-Green Onion-white part only sliced thin
To Taste-Black Pepper/Kosher Salt Directions
1. Warm a sauté pan and oil over very low heat.
2. Cook garlic until softened, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Cool completely in a bowl in refrigerator.
4. Combine remaining sauce ingredients with garlic, store covered in refrigerator for up to three days.
5. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Place, chicken, egg, onion, garlic in a food processor, season to taste.
7. Blend into a smooth paste and place in a bowl.
8. Add breadcrumbs, half the blue cheese and mix to combine.
9. Portion into equal size balls, about size of a golf ball and drop in boiling water.
10. Cook in batches until firm, about 3-5 minutes.
11. Remove, drain and pat dry, this step can be done a day ahead of time.
12. Warm an iron skillet/oven safe pan over medium high heat.
13. Toss balls with a little oil, season with salt and pepper and begin browning in pan.
14. Once brown place in oven until cooked through, internal temperature of 160 degrees.
15. Remove and build sliders by placing a chicken slider on bottom portion of bun.
16. Top with a little sauce and remaining crumbled blue cheese.
17. Add top bun and secure with toothpicks and serve.