Spice up your Reuben
03/15/2013 10:18 AM
03/15/2013 10:40 AM
Reuben Flatbread with Cider Braised Cabbage and Spicy 1000 Island
* 2-8 Ounce-Pizza Dough Balls-store bought or see recipe below for Caraway Pizza Dough
* To Taste-Caraway Seeds-(optional toasted and bashed)
* 2 Cups-Corned Beef-cooked and cooled, shredded or sliced thin
* 2 Cups-Cabbage-sliced thin
* 3 Tablespoons-Unsalted Butter
* To Taste-Kosher Salt/Black Pepper
* ¼ Cup-Apple Cider Vinegar
* To Cover-Water
* 3 Cups-Swiss Cheese-grated
* 1 Recipe-Spicy 1000 Island Dressing-see recipe below
Spicy 1000 Island Dressing:
* 1/4 Cup-Mayonnaise
* 1/8 Cup-Ketchup
* 2 Tablespoons-Pickled Jalapenos Peppers-drained and finely chopped
* 1/2 Teaspoon-Black Pepper
* 1 Each-Hard Boiled Egg-finely chopped
Mix all ingredients together until well combined, place in covered container and refrigerate until ready to use.
1. Make dough according to recipe and start cabbage while dough it rising.
2. To make cabbage, melt butter in a large pot over medium high heat.
3. Add cabbage, vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
4. Stir to wilt cabbage and continue to cook for about 3 minutes.
5. Cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes.
6. Flatten both dough balls into an oblong shape.
7. Smear on some the dressing, top with cheese, corned beef and cabbage.
8. Bake until golden, about 7 minutes, cut and serve.
Caraway Pizza Dough
* 1 Cups-Warm Water
* 1 Tablespoon-Active Dry Yeast
* 2 Tablespoons-Granulated Sugar
* 2 Tablespoons- Olive/Canola/Vegetable Oil
* 2 Teaspoons-Kosher Salt
* 1 Tablespoon-Caraway Seed-Toasted and bashed
* 2 ½-3 Cups-All Purpose/Bread Flour
1. Combine warm water with yeast and sugar.
2. Set timer and let rise for 10 minutes.
3. Warm bowl of stand up mixer/mixing bowl with warm water.
4. Add yeast water to bowl and add oil, salt, caraway and 2 ½ cups flour.
5. Add bowl to stand up mixer and attach the dough hook.
6. Mix on low speed until a sticky ball of dough is formed, add remaining flour if necessary.
7. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl, cover, set timer for one hour and let rise.
8. Divide into two potions, roll into balls and use immediately.
Join the Discussion
Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.