Ok, so we have been in this taco craze for a while now and it has swept the nation with food tacos and gourmet creations in upscale restaurants. It really got me thinkingabout breakfast. No really, chorizo sausage and egg are a classic combination for breakfast so why not add a few garnishes and cram it in a warm corn tortilla for a delicious breakfast.There are different types of chorizo sausage; Mexican and Spanish. Mexican chorizo is a ground sausage and Spanish chorizo is a cured sausage. Both are seasoned the same but there are hundreds of different versions. Most all contain garlic, salt, pepper and lots of paprika; there is even a green chorizo that has tomatillo, chili peppers and cilantro as the seasoning.For the tacos start by removing the chorizo from its casing and cook in a pan. Drain off a little of the fat but not all because that is part of the seasoning. Add onion/peppers and cook until soften. Add eggs that have been beaten together with cheese and cilantro. Add eggs and cook slowly over a low heat until just cooked through and fluffy.Remove pan from heat and assemble tacos with warm tortillas and a side of oven baked potato hash browns. Enjoy!
Chorizo and Egg Breakfast Tacos
Never miss a local story.
2 Tablespoons-Heavy Cream
½ Cup-Manchego Cheese-shredded
To Taste-Cilantro-or parsley-leaves only chopped (plus garnish)
To Taste-Kosher Salt/Black Pepper
6-8 Corn Tortillas
1 Tablespoon-Bacon Drippings/Olive Oil
½ Pound-Mexican Chorizo-casing removed
¼ White Onion-small dice
2 Tablespoons-Fresh Red Jalapeno/Cayenne/Fresno Chili-stem/seeds removed, fine dice
To Top-Crema-or sour creamDirections1. Crack egg into a mixing bowl.
2. Add cream, cheese, cilantro, season with salt/pepper and set aside.
3. Lightly oil both side of tortillas, stack, wrap in a clean kitchen towel and microwave for 1 minute. (Keep Warm)
4. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat; add drippings, chorizo and cook breaking up with a wooden spoon.
5. Toss chorizo until cooked through and drain off all but about 2 tablespoons of oil.
6. Add onion, peppers, cook for one minute, stirring frequently and lower heat to medium.
7. Add egg/cheese mixture and stir into chorizo/onion mixture until eggs start to set.
8. Remove pan from heat; continue to stir until eggs are just cooked through.
9. Fill tortillas with chorizo/egg, garnish with crema/cilantro and serve.