We have all been there, supper time with little time to put something on the table and quick, cheap and easy gets old real quick during a busy week. A little menu planning, shopping and prepping can give a head start to great meals; but doesn’t always require it. This chicken dish for example is packed with flavor and can be put together in about 30 minutes. Simply cooked chicken breast can anchor any meal, but when paired with this warm salad of black eyed peas, laced with andouille sausage and spicy cherry peppers it will become an instant classic. For more killer recipes tune in to “Tuesdays with Troy”, live every week on WCCB News Rising from 7-9 am and visit www.cheftroy.net.
Simple Chicken with Warm Black Eyed Pea Salad4-6 Ounce Chicken Breast
To Drizzle-Olive Oil
To Taste-Kosher Salt Salad 1 Link-Andouille Sausage-(fresh) casing removed, (smoked) fine dice
2 Each-Green Onion-sliced
2 Cloves-Fresh Garlic
1 Each-Pickled Cherry Pepper- or pepperoncini, stem, seeds removed and fine diced
3 Cups-Black Eyed Peas-cooked, or two cans, drained and rinsed
1 ½ Cups-Chicken Stock
1 Tablespoon-Apple Cider Vinegar
To Taste-Kosher Salt/Black Pepper
2 Each Roma Tomato-core and seeds remove, diced
Optional Garnish-Okra-slice long ways, floured and deep fried crisp Directions 1. Warm about 2 tablespoons of oil in sauté pan over medium heat, add sausage and cook through, 3-5 minutes.
2. Add onion, garlic, peppers and cook for one minute.
3. Add black eyed peas, stock, vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
4. Raise heat and bring to a boil.
5. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, while preparing the chicken.
6. Warm about 3 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
7. Pat chicken dry with a paper towel, season with salt, pepper and place in pan.
8. Cook until golden brown on both sides, about 5-6 minutes per side, depending on thickness of chicken.
9. Add tomato to black eyed peas, stir and remove from heat.
10. To plate, spoon warm black eyed pea salad on individual plates, top with a piece of chicken and okra if using.