Charlotte has come a long way from its retro Park-N-Shops and Central Avenue’s Harris Super Market, which combined with Mooresville’s Teeter’s Food Mart to become Harris Teeter in 1960. Fresh off Matthews-based Harris Teeter’s store upgrades in Myers Park and Plaza Midwood, the city is getting a slew of fresh markets. Florida-based Publix has expanded to Charlotte with a newly opened store in Ballantyne and plans for 13 more local shops by the end of 2015, including one underway in South End. Meanwhile, Food Lion is renovating its local stores and Whole Foods, which is slotted for its second local store in Huntersville this fall, just announced plans for a third spot in South Charlotte in 2016.
Photo caption: Harris Teeter on Central Avenue, pictured here in 1960, began as Harris Super Market in 1936. For more vintage photos from The Charlotte Observer’s archives, follow @ObserverArchive on Twitter.