Kick up your Cinco de Mayo celebration with this unique handmade savory treat. Made with corn flour (mesa harina), these tasty treats are simple to put together and can be filled to the brim with any assortment of fresh ingredients.An authentic favorite is filled with spicy chorizo sausage, avocado and charred grilled corn. The addition of thin sliced hot peppers, crumbly quesco fresco and crunchy cabbage will make these more than just your Cinco de Mayo show stopper. Try filling the sopes with mini salads, grilled vegetables or steak and beans and serve with rice for a mid-week dinner.The recipe below calls for the sopes to be fried but they can also be baked at 350 until just cooked through, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool and assemble with your favorite combinations.For more great recipes watch Chef Troy live on WCCB Charlotte every Tuesday from 7-9 and visit www.cheftroy.net
Chorizo, Corn, Avocado Sopes
2 Cups-Masa Harina-corn flour
Never miss a local story.
1 ¼ Cups-Water-warm
1 Quart-Corn Oil
3 Cups-Mexican Chorizo-cooked and drained, keep warm
1 Cup-Cabbage-thin sliced
2 Ear-Corn on Cob-boil, charred, cut off cob
1 Each-Avocado-removed of skin, sliced
1 Each-Roma Tomato-fine diced
1 Each-Serrano Pepper-sliced thin
½ Cup-Quesco Fresco-crumbledDirections1. Warm a dry iron skillet over medium heat and oil in a pot fitted with a thermometer to 350 degrees.
2. Combine masa harina/water with hands to form a smooth dough.
3. Divide into four equal parts, roll into a ball, place in between two sheets of plastic and flatten with two plates.
4. Or use a tortilla press and flatten to about ¼” disks.
5. Remove from plastic, pinch sides to form a shallow bowl shape.
6. Add a couple tablespoons from warm oil to skillet and add two sopes, flat side down.
7. Cook until starting to color and firm up, about 2 minutes, repeat with other two sopes.
8. Place sopes a couple at a time in oil and cook until golden brown, 2-3 minutes.
9. Remove and drain on a paper towel line plate.
10. Fill each with an equal amount of chorizo, top with a little cabbage, corn, avocado, serrano pepper and quesco fresco.