Quick rest for weary flyers

09/14/2012 11:41 AM

09/14/2012 11:42 AM

Crisscrossing the country while trying to maximize my time on the ground has taught me one thing: I recover poorly from overnight flights.

So, as I prepared to leave Seattle earlier this year on a red-eye to the East Coast, it was with vague dread that I contemplated my options for getting back to Washington via a connecting flight in Philadelphia that had a 3 1/2 wait.

Then a friend told me about a nirvana for business travelers at the Philadelphia airport, a place where I could lie down in a quiet room and rest until a wake-up knock alerted me that it was time to get ready for my flight.

Arriving at 6:20 a.m., the attendant at the information counter handed me a brochure for Minute Suites. These private suites, which can also be found in the Atlanta airport and are scheduled for Dallas/Fort Worth, are equipped with a workstation with a keyboard and an office chair, an HDTV that doubles as a computer monitor, an alarm clock and a daybed with a blanket and pillows. The handout promised “an ideal place to wait in the airport terminal,” costing $32 for the first hour. I wouldn’t even have to leave the secure zone.

At 6:45, I arrived at Minute Suites and groggily asked for 90 minutes in a room. The clerk had just finished processing my credit card when I realized that I could probably use a full two hours of downtime. “Just pay the extra when you leave,” she said. You pay $8 for every 15-minute increment after the first hour, with discounts for stays of four hours or more.

I was directed to a room with a dark, heavy sliding door that reminded me of a sleeping compartment on a train. I cranked up the ambient-noise generator, which I initially mistook for a thermostat, turned off the lights and prepared for some z’s in the pitch-dark. Over the white noise in the room, I heard delivery vehicles and muffled voices – probably airport workers on the other side of the wall. Despite the distractions and a sleep surface that reminded me more of a park bench than a Heavenly Bed, I soon nodded off.

When I awoke, the clock display read 9:25. I’d overslept by a half-hour! There was no time for the Minute Suites hot towel service. I gathered my things and darted to the counter. A different woman was on duty. She apologized for the lack of a wake-up knock and told me that I didn’t have to pay for the extra time in the room.

I dashed through the terminal, arriving breathless at my gate. Of course, my flight was delayed.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service