Turkish authorities on Thursday captured a person they said was a gunman involved in the deadly attack on the U.S. Consulate a day earlier, local news reports said.
Authorities had rounded up people they say communicated with three other assailants killed by police and were investigating whether the attackers were linked to al-Qaida. Police suspect the four gunmen had ties to the terrorist network but say that, so far, they have no proof of that link.
Wednesday's attack in Istanbul ignited a firefight that left three policemen and three assailants dead and prompted Turkey to increase security at all U.S. diplomatic missions in the country.
The private Dogan news agency reported that a man thought to be the fourth gunman, who fled after the attack, was caught after his getaway car was found earlier Thursday. A police officer in Istanbul confirmed the report but would not give details.
Never miss a local story.
Interior Minister Besir Atalay earlier said police detained four others suspected of links to the gunmen hours after shootout. Dogan reported one of the four was detained in a town on the Armenian border after authorities established he had been in frequent telephone contact with the assailants. The others were detained in Istanbul.
Turkish terrorism experts said the country is a major al-Qaida target but the latest attack lacked the sophistication of the terror network's usual operations.
At least three of the four attackers are most likely Kurdish. But police said they do not think the attack is tied to a Kurdish separatist movement that has been fighting for autonomy from Turkey for more than two decades.