A new Tijuana Flats will open in the University area on June 29. This will be the Tex-Mex chain’s ninth location in North Carolina.
The 2,398-square-foot restaurant is at 8926 J.M. Keynes Drive, near the Carolinas Medical Center. It has capacity for 70 diners inside and 28 outside on its patio.
Tijuana Flats is known for its fast-casual Tex-Mex fare, including burritos, chimichangas and quesadillas. The new restaurant will feature energy-efficient equipment like menus printed on recycled paper and energy-efficient LED lighting.
“We are confident that the UNC Charlotte community will be a perfect fit for us,” Brad Kaemmer, Tijuana Flats chief executive officer, said in a statement this week.
In March, Tijuana Flats closed its East Boulevard location. Back when that restaurant opened in 2013, Tijuana Flats had said it wanted to open 15 North Carolina locations eventually. The chain previously operated stores in Charlotte on Prosperity Church Road and Pineville-Matthews Road and on Gilead Road in Huntersville. All have since closed.
Tijuana Flats has over 100 locations across Florida, Georgia, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Indiana, South Carolina and North Carolina, including two other Charlotte-area locations in Gastonia and Concord.
The new University area restaurant will have drink specials every Monday and Wednesday that include $2 Dos Equis and Sam Adams drafts, $3 local craft beers, $10 buckets, $2 wine and $3 sangria. Additionally, opening week specials include the following:
▪ June 29: One free burrito for the first 50 guests on opening day.
▪ June 30: Two tacos, chips and a drink for $5.49 (every Tuesday).
▪ July 1: $2 tacos all day.
▪ July 2: Tijuana burrito, chips and a drink for $5.99 (every Thursday).
▪ July 3: Live music from 6 to 9 p.m., drink specials all day and giveaways.
▪ July 4: Closed for Independence Day.
▪ July 5: Four entrees and four drinks for $30.