The search for Johnson C. Smith University’s 14th president began Friday with the naming of an 11-member committee of JCSU trustees and faculty.
Members were appointed by Shirley Hughes, chair of the JCSU board of trustees. Hughes also will chair the search committee, which will look nationally for Ron Carter’s successor. Carter, who has led JCSU since 2008, announced in August that he will leave the university on June 30.
The search committee intends to hire an executive search firm by the end of this month and name the new university president by June.
Never miss a local story.
Search committee members have more than 100 years of human resources experience, with several having been H.R. executives, the university said.
Members of the presidential search committee are:
▪ Shirley Hughes, chair, JCSU board of trustees and presidential search committee, retired senior vice president of human resources, Ceridian Corp.
▪ Thomas Barnhardt, JCSU trustee, chairman and CEO of Barnhardt Manufacturing Co.
▪ Steven Boyd, JCSU trustee, member of JCSU class of 1979, retired vice president of sales, The Coca-Cola Co.
▪ Shelia Brown, JCSU Trustee, member of JCSU class of 1977, S.R.B. Dental P.C.
▪ Christy Bryant JCSU trustee, member of JCSU class of 1975, president of National Alumni Association, vice president in corporate credit, Wells Fargo.
▪ Helen Caldwell, chair of the JCSU Council of Deans and dean of professional studies.
▪ Kevin Henry, vice chair, JCSU board of trustees; chief human resources officer, Extended Stay Hotel.
▪ Michael Jones, JCSU trustee, business executive.
▪ Monroe Miller, JCSU trustee; retired vice president for human resources, IBM Networking Division.
▪ Tami Simmons, secretary, JCSU board of trustees; executive director, Susan G. Komen Foundation, Charlotte.
▪ Philip Otienoburu, assistant professor of biology and director of the Center for Renewable Energy and Sustainability.
Resource professionals to the search committee are William Farthing, university counsel, of Parker Poe Adams & Bernstein; and Jannai Cannon, administrative assistant and secretary to the board of trustees.