Several accidents were reported Monday morning in Charlotte, causing delays for commuters. These were:
▪ A 7 a.m. accident at Freedom Drive and South I-85
▪ A 7:02 accident at Brookshire Boulevard and Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road
▪ A 7:10 a.m. accident at Cabarrus Road and Brooks Mill Road
Never miss a local story.
▪ A 7:20 a.m. accident at Albemarle Road and Executive Center Drive
▪ A 7:24 a.m. accident at North I-85 Highway and Billy Graham Parkway
▪ A 7:28 a.m. accident at Steele Creek Road and Brown-Grier Road
Meanwhile, drivers in south Charlotte and the Lake Norman area should be aware of road construction that may impact their commute.
In south Charlotte, commuters should be aware of the recent short-term closure of Sharon Road at Sulkirk Road. That closure will be in effect through 6 p.m. March 22 to allow for a water main replacement. Drivers can use a detour route of Fairview Road, Park South Drive and Park Road.
During this closure, there will be no direct access to Sulkirk Road from Sharon Road. Local traffic can detour using Brookfield Drive and Severn Avenue from northbound Sharon Road or Eastburn Road, Anchor Street, Stokes Avenue and Sulstone Lane from southbound Sharon Road.
Drivers in Cornelius should be aware of a road project that is scheduled to start today, according to the town website. Permanent pavement striping is expected to begin on the diverging diamond interchange. There will be some lane closures in the area associated with this work. Work is expected to occur between 9 a.m. and 4 a.m.
Planners said night temperatures are too cool for the striping to be done at night. The North Carolina Department of Transportation has told town officials that the work may take seven to nine days to complete, depending on the weather.
Check back to www.charlotteobserver.com for more updates on your commute throughout the morning.