A snake is being blamed for a power outage in Concord Sunday that impacted 12,000 people, reports TV station WCNC.
It was, unfortunately, a benign black snake and not a venomous one.
Duke Energy told WCNC the snake that got into the City of Concord substation. City officials said in a Facebook post that a fire resulted, and it caused significant damage. Power was restored at 2 a.m. Monday, through many lost power again not long after due to the failure of a backup system, the city said.
This kind of snake attack has happened before in Concord.
Never miss a local story.
In 2014, a snake touched high voltage equipment in one of Duke Energy’s delivery substations feeding Concord’s electric system. The snake caused only minor damage, according to media reports, but the incident sparked outages that lasted four hours.