A firefighter was taken to the hospital after suffering an injury while fighting a house fire believed to be sparked by lightning in Lincoln County Thursday.
The fire happened before 5 p.m. at a home on the 3200 block of Brady Hoffman Road in Lincolnton. According to officials, several firefighters were treated at the scene for heat exhaustion, and one was taken by ambulance due to a laceration suffered while fighting the fire as well as heat exhaustion.
The homeowner and cats made it out safely with no injuries. The house was heavily damaged.
Thomas Raper, assistant fire chief for the South Fork Volunteer Fire Department, said the firefighters faced a number of challenges Thursday evening.
Never miss a local story.
He said that more manpower had to be brought in to fight the fire and tanker trucks had to be used because there are no fire hydrants near the home.
“There’s really no solution to it other than to know where you live and keep your home fire safe and be prepared,” said Raper. “Any time you think you have a problem call 9-1-1 quickly. The quicker you call, the quicker we’re gonna be coming.”
The homeowner told WBTV that he was in good spirits and said the Rec Cross was helping him with temporary living arrangements.