A man who police believe crawled under a bathroom stall at a Wal-Mart and sexually assaulted an 8-year-old boy has been arrested.
Dennis Erik William Becker, 41, of Concord has been charged with first-degree statutory sexual offense and second-degree kidnapping. He was in the Cabarrus County jail Friday night under $1 million bond.
Police say they got new leads about the Sunday crime when they released photos from the store's surveillance video to the media earlier this week.
A tipster called officers Friday afternoon, said Deputy Chief Guy Smith. By 7:30 p.m., Becker was in handcuffs.
Never miss a local story.
Smith said investigators interviewed Becker before he went to jail, but said officers had no indication that he'd ever done anything like this before. Becker isn't listed on the state's sex offender registry.
He does have a criminal record dating to 1991, with convictions for marijuana possession, assault on an officer and driving with a revoked license.
The store video showed two men arriving at the Wal-Mart in a Honda Odyssey van. After entering the store, one man went to shop and the other headed to the bathroom.
Officers have not identified or charged the second man. Smith said the man didn't appear to be connected to the assault in the bathroom.
Anyone with additional information or who thinks a child might have been victimized should call police at 704-358-5000, Smith said.