House fire displaces Gastonia family

03/14/2014 10:08 AM

03/14/2014 10:08 AM

A house fire that began at a wood stove late Thursday displaced a Gastonia family, Gastonia Fire Department spokesman Jim Landis said.

No one was there when flames broke out about 10:30 p.m. at the Hanks Circle home, and no firefighters were injured, Landis said.

It took 20 firefighters about 15 minutes to extinguish the fire, which burned through the floor of the home, causing $15,000 to 20,000 in damage.

The American Red Cross helped the family find shelter.

The fire department on Friday urged residents to have all heating devices serviced and inspected annually by a certified specialist.

Heating-related fires are among the leading causes of house fires and the second-leading cause of home fire deaths, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service