Two cooking fires in a span of 14 hours kept Gastonia firefighters running Saturday night and Sunday morning.
At about 6:20 p.m. Saturday, a grease fire broke out on the stove of a house at 312 Hollifield Drive, according to Chris Stowe, a spokesman for the Gastonia Fire Department. The fire spread quickly to the walls and ceiling, causing about $40,000 worth of damage, Stowe said.
The Red Cross is helping to find temporary housing for the occupants.
The second fire, which was reported at 8:18 a.m. Sunday, occurred when someone at an apartment on 1819 Mountainbrook Drive left a pan on the stove top unattended, Stowe said.
Never miss a local story.
Four apartments were damaged. The Red Cross is helping two families relocate.