Gastonia firefighters battle two cooking fires

05/25/2014 5:24 PM

05/25/2014 5:25 PM

Two cooking fires in a span of 14 hours kept Gastonia firefighters running Saturday night and Sunday morning.

At about 6:20 p.m. Saturday, a grease fire broke out on the stove of a house at 312 Hollifield Drive, according to Chris Stowe, a spokesman for the Gastonia Fire Department. The fire spread quickly to the walls and ceiling, causing about $40,000 worth of damage, Stowe said.

The Red Cross is helping to find temporary housing for the occupants.

The second fire, which was reported at 8:18 a.m. Sunday, occurred when someone at an apartment on 1819 Mountainbrook Drive left a pan on the stove top unattended, Stowe said.

Four apartments were damaged. The Red Cross is helping two families relocate.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service