House collapses after fire in Gastonia

05/26/2014 2:35 PM

05/26/2014 2:36 PM

A golf cart that was being recharged in a basement caused a fire that destroyed a house in Gastonia on Monday morning.

Firefighters who arrived at the one-story house at 2516 Georgemont Court about 10:30 a.m. found a heavy fire in the basement. Two people were in the house when the fire started but got out without injury, according to a report by the Gastonia Fire Department.

The floor of a bedroom collapsed into the basement, but firefighters checking the integrity of the house escaped in time and no injuries were reported.

Damages were estimated at $200,000 and the building was reported as a total loss. The cause was an electrical issue with the golf cart, which was plugged in to recharge.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service