Boone restaurant linked to salmonella outbreak, officials say
06/06/2014 6:42 PM
06/06/2014 6:43 PM
Public health officials in Watauga County said Friday that five cases of salmonella have been confirmed among patrons who ate at Proper Restaurant in Boone last month.
As of Friday, nine people had reported symptoms that officials say are consistent with salmonella infection, including fever, nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea and vomiting.
The Health Department is asking anyone who ate or drank anything from Proper on or after May 17 and started having diarrhea within three days to call the department at 828-264-6635.
If individuals call after hours or on the weekend, they should stay on the line to be connected to on-call staff.
Appalachian District Health Department Director Beth Lovette said that even those who have recovered should call for questioning in hopes that the source of the contamination can be identified.
“We are still investigating to determine the source (or sources) of infection,” Lovette said in a media release. “The restaurant has been diligent and responsive during this process and we appreciate their commitment to the safety of their customers.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.