Four people rescued in house fire early Saturday

07/12/2014 8:37 AM

07/12/2014 8:38 AM

The Charlotte Fire Department rescued four people from a burning house in the University area early Saturday.

Firefighters responded to a call around 2 a.m. at 11318 Astoria Drive and found black smoke billowing from the first floor of a two-story residence.

Using a ladder, they removed one victim through a second-story window. The other three victims were carried down the stairs outside to safety.

Firefighters had the blaze under control in 14 minutes.

Authorities said two adults and two children were being treated at an area hospital for smoke inhalation. No firefighters were injured.

An unattended candle caused the fire, which did an estimated $30,000 in damages.

Working smoke detectors alerted the occupants, but the family dog died in the fire, authorities said.

The fire displaced a family of seven and the Red Cross was notified.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service