Rain, cooler temps around Charlotte likely into next week

08/08/2014 6:05 AM

08/08/2014 6:06 AM

The chance for rain and a few thunderstorms will build throughout the day in Charlotte, and forecasters say they expect rain and cooler than normal temperatures to last into next week.

“There’s a stationary front in the area that will hang out throughout the weekend. Because of that, we’ll see increased chances for rainfall,” said Jake Wimberley, meteorologist with the National Weather Service.

By late afternoon, there’s a 40 percent chance of rain for the area, which will increase to a 60 percent chance overnight, he said. Friday’s high is expected to be 85 degrees with an overnight low around 71.

While forecasters aren’t expecting any severe weather, Wimberley said, heavy rainfall to the north and east of Charlotte could cause localized flooding in those areas. “It’s not a real significant threat, but something we’ll be watching over the next three days, particularly late Saturday.”

Around the Charlotte area, there’s a 70 percent chance for rain on Saturday with a high around 79, Wimberley said. The overnight low is expected to be about 70 degrees. On Sunday, the chances for rain remain, around 60 percent, with a high around 77.

“It’ll be a little cooler with the rain around,” Wimberley said, noting a cool wedge of high pressure will start to become entrenched over the region and is expected to last into next week.

There’s only a 30 percent chance for rain on Monday, with an expected high around 80 degrees, Wimberley said, and Wednesday will likely be the warmest day of the week, with a predicted high of 86 degrees.

He noted that the normal temperature for this time of year is about 88 degrees.

“It’s going to remain pretty wet and fairly cloudy through the middle of next week,” he said. “Temps will remain a little below normal, which I think most people will appreciate.”

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service