Davidson College set to begin athletic center construction
08/22/2014 5:52 PM
08/23/2014 1:22 PM
Having raised $13.3 million three years ahead of schedule, Davidson College will begin building its Harry L. Vance Athletic Center this fall, the college announced Friday.
The center will enhance the college’s Baker Sports Complex, officials said, and will feature:• Practice courts for men’s and women’s basketball and volleyball.
• Locker rooms, team rooms and film rooms for men’s and women’s basketball.
• Administrative offices for men’s and women’s basketball.
• Cheryle Williamson Center for Dance, with two studios, office space and storage.
• Red Ventures Athletic Club for hospitality and team meeting space.
• An enhanced Nisbet Hall of Fame.
• New ticket office with internal and external ticket windows.
• New game day main entrance easily accessible from the parking lot.
• Expanded Basil Boyd Training Room.
“The Vance Athletic Center was designed with our entire community in mind,” Davidson College President Carol Quillen said in a statement. “It will enable new opportunities for our Atlantic 10 Conference sports teams, enhance our dance programs and provide convening spaces for the campus and alumni community.”
The $13.3 million includes completion of the $4 million Vance Challenge, a dollar-for-dollar match issued by Samuel and Ann Vance Ginn in honor of Ann’s father, Harry L. Vance, Davidson class of 1926.
“We are so grateful to the Ginn family and all the alumni, parents and friends who pledged support to make this center possible,” Quillen said.
Naming opportunities recognizing support of Davidson athletics and ongoing maintenance of the facility are still available.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.