Carbon monoxide at Coulwood Middle School caused by cafeteria appliance, officials say
08/29/2014 11:41 AM
08/29/2014 11:42 AM
The improper operation of a cafeteria appliance at Coulwood Middle School was the source of the carbon monoxide that forced the school to evacuate briefly on Thursday, officials said.
The Charlotte Fire Department said firefighters were called to the school on Kentberry Drive at 11:52 a.m., after the CO detectors in the cafeteria activated. The county health department was on the scene conducting a food inspection at the time.
A spokeswoman for Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools said all students and staff were evacuated initially. By 12:45 p.m., the students and staff were moved to other areas of the school.
No students were affected; two staff members were evaluated by Medic at the scene, according to the fire department.
Firefighters used large fans to remove the toxic gas – which registered at 67 parts per million when officials first arrived – the department said. Crew members also monitored the entire building for other signs or sources.
Building maintenance and county environmental services remained at the school to check that all other kitchen equipment was working properly, according to the fire department.
Staff writer Steve Lyttle contributed.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.