No injuries were reported among residents and pets in a house fire Tuesday afternoon in Kannapolis, officials said.
The fire was reported shortly after 4 p.m. at a residence in the 200 block of Forest Pond Road, south of Brantley Road and west of U.S. 601.
Firefighters were greeted at the house by a male resident, who was standing in the front yard and told crews that he came home to find his kitchen on fire. Division Chief Rick Barnhardt said firefighters found smoke coming from the house, and, once inside, crews found the house full of smoke.
“While the fire was being extinguished, additional crews searched the remainder of the home for potential victims,” said Barnhardt, adding that none were found.
Never miss a local story.
Damage was estimated at about $15,000.
Fire officials credited residents for having working smoke alarms. “The smoke alarms were sounding when I arrived,” Fire Inspector Shane Pethel said.