Nearly a year after the deadliest weekend in Charlotte’s recent memory, four homicides remain unsolved and police are asking the public for help.
Labor Day 2015 – a “weekend that shocked us” – left five dead, said Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department deputy chief Doug Gallant.
The victims ranged from age 7 to 30. Only one case, that of Elias Izagirre Perez, has been solved.
“We need people, folks in the community, to tell us what happened,” said Gallant during a Friday press conference. “Somebody saw. Somebody knows.”
In all, 12 people were shot in Charlotte last Labor Day weekend. Those killed were:
▪ Kevin Antonio Calderon Rodas. The 7-year-old was at a birthday party at a home in the 6800 block of Fieldvale Place in southwest Charlotte when he was shot.
Two other adults and a victim of elementary school age were also found at the scene. They suffered from non-life threatening injuries.
▪ Laquanta Franchez Young, 30, was shot at the 500 block of Echodale Drive. A second victim suffered non-life threatening injuries.
▪ James Taylor, 23, suffered a gunshot wound and was dropped off at Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
▪ Dominique Wheeler, 25, was shot near the 1800 block of North Hoskins Road in northwest Charlotte.
▪ Perez, 30, was found shot to death on the 1100 block of Glenfiddich Drive.
In November, police charged Quincy Dushawn McWaine, 19, of Charlotte with Perez’ murder and robbery with a dangerous weapon.
Gallant said there is a $10,000 reward for information that solves any of the cases. There’s an additional $5,000 offered to find the killer of Rodas, the young boy. His death has been turned over to CMPD’s cold case detectives.
“I really can’t underscore enough, we need the community to come forward,” said Rob Tufano, a CMPD spokesman.
So far this year, CMPD has investigated 38 homicides. By this time last year, it had investigated 32.
Gavin Off: 704-358-6038