Send your Cabarrus news items to firstname.lastname@example.org. Send University City news to email@example.com.
Hennessee wins teen pageant
Sally Hennessee of Harrisburg won the teen division of the national American Miss Pageant June 28 in Winston-Salem.
The 17-year-old daughter of Jan Hennessee, she is involved with tennis, the art club and the Key Club.
Never miss a local story.
Hennessee will represent North Carolina in the national pageant to be held at Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif., during Thanksgiving week.
Upcoming library program
The Concord Public Library will hold several free events this summer.
▪ A four-day animation workshop will be held 1-3 p.m. Aug. 3-6 in the Meeting Room. UNC-Chapel Hill graduate student Mejs Hasan will show participants how to create their own cartoon from start to finish. Registration is required by calling the Children’s Room at 704-920-2058.
▪ “Unmask! Filmmaking 101” will be held at 4 p.m. Aug. 4 in the auditorium. Aspiring filmmakers and movie lovers can discover the magic behind the camera with this interactive workshop featuring Will Davis, a professional filmmaker and university instructor. Participants will work with various film formats and receive tips and tricks to make their own films. For information, call 704-920-2054.
▪ The DIBS-Concord Book Discussion will meet at 6 p.m. Aug. 4 in the meeting room. This month’s featured book is “The Sandcastle Girls” by Chris Bohjalian. Registration is required by calling Derrick at 704-920-2053.
▪ The North Carolina Raptor Center will bring several birds of prey into the auditorium at 3 p.m. Aug. 5. Participants can learn about these fascinating predators of the sky and the human heroes who work to conserve endangered wildlife. For information, call the Children’s Room at 704-920-2058.
▪ Children ages 5-12 can learn about brave little carrier pigeons in the next “Every Hero Has a Story” session at 3 p.m. Aug. 6 in the Children’s Program Room. Kids will learn how carrier pigeons saved lives during World War I and World War II, enjoy a Mo Willems story, try writing secret codes and make fun, flying crafts. For information, call the Children’s Room at 704-920-2058.
▪ Participate in an original role playing game in “Unmask! Zombie Challenge” at 4 p.m. Aug. 6 in the auditorium. Participants will battle hordes of hungry zombies, working as teams in life-and-death scenarios to see if they can survive the zombie apocalypse. For information, call 704-920-2054.
Kids consignment sale
The Tarheel Kids Consignment Sale will be Aug. 13-15 at the Cabarrus Arena & Events Center, 4751 U.S. 49 in Concord.
Public sale times are 6-8 p.m. Aug. 13, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 14-15. The sale will offer half price off select items 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 15 and 65 percent off select items 6-9:30 p.m. Aug. 15. Admission is free. Parking is $5 per vehicle.
The seasonal children’s consignment sale features clothing, toys, accessories and maternity wear. For information, visit www.tarheelkidsconsignment.com.
TNA Wrestling show
TNA stars Ethan Carter III, Jeff and Matt Hardy, Kurt Angle, Drew Galloway, Bram, Knockouts Taryn Terrell, Gail Kim and Brooke, Tigre Uno and the stars of the high flying X Division will appear in the TNA Wrestling “Bound for Glory” at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 4 at Cabarrus Arena & Events Center, 4751 Highway 49 in Concord.
VIP tickets with a table and a meet and greet session are $125. Other tickets range from $35 for lower and upper bowl seats and bleacher seating to $100 for first row tickets. Members of the military and groups of 10 or more receive $10 off each ticket in the $35 and $75 price levels.
Tickets are on sale now through the Cabarrus Arena Box Office, at www.ticketmaster.com and at 800-745-3000. For information, visit www.CabarrusArena.com.
New art exhibit
Fifteen members of the Cabarrus Art Guild are featured in a new exhibit that includes watercolors, oils, pastels, acrylics and photography.
The exhibit runs until September in the Street Level Gallery at 11 Union St. in Concord. Gallery hours are 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday.
For more information on the featured artists, visit www.cabarrusartguild.org or call 704-795-1901.
Agility trials coming to town
The Speedway Classic of the Carolinas All-Breed Dog Show will feature Agility Trials Aug. 6-9 at the Cabarrus Arena & Events Center, 4751 Highway 49 in Concord.
Sponsored by the Greater Monroe Kennel Club, the competition runs 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is free. Parking is $5 per vehicle.
For information, visit www.greatermonroekc.org.
Compiled by Leigh Pressley