Send your school news to firstname.lastname@example.org.
North Mecklenburg High School
Fall bulb sale: The horticulture department is starting the fall bulb sale! Please purchase bulbs online now at http://groups.dutchmillbulbs.com/northmecklenburghighschoolhorticulture.php.. They will be shipped directly to you. Bulbs should be planted this fall to ensure beautiful blooms in the spring.
Speech and Debate: Five members of the North Meck Debate & Speech team attended the 2016 National Speech & Debate Association National Championships held in Salt Lake City, Utah, on June 13 - 17, 2016. They were all very competitive in their supplemental and consolation events, with junior Leslie Nyandjo reaching the octafinal round in Storytelling.
Sixteen members attended the Wake Forest “Early Bird” national level tournament in Winston-Salem on Sept. 9-11. The team competed in a field of more 1,000 competitors, mostly from the southeastern U.S., but with schools as far away as New York.
Special congratulations go to:
▪ The Duo Interpretation team of seniors June Yom and Leslie Nyandjo, who broke through to the final elimination round and came in fifth overall; Yom also made the semi-final round in Dramatic Interpretation.
▪ Sophmore Satya Khurana who broke through to the semifinal round in Original Oratory.
▪ Senior Ryan Golden, who made the semifinal round in Congressional Debate.
▪ Seniors Anna Cloud and Aneesha Raj waded through a field of 156 teams to break to the octafinal round in Public Forum Debate
▪ Junior Sam Thornton along with sophomore Angus Ewington broke to the double-octafinal round in Lincoln-Douglas Debate.
CMS App: Stay on top of school news, calendars, closings and more. Just download the CMS mobile app on your Apple or Android device. Visit bit.ly/cmsapps from your mobile device.
Mooresville Graded School District
State test results: 2015-2016 state results released Sept. 1 show the district’s grade-level proficiency was 70 percent, which was fifth in the state among all 115 school districts. This percentage is 12 points higher than the state average of 58 percent. Ranking higher than MGSD were Chapel Hill at the top spot, then Polk County, Union County and Henderson County.
All end-of-grade scores within the district ranked among the top 10 in the state. Mooresville High School was in the top 3 percent in academic growth among public and charter high schools.
Iredell Statesville Schools
Returning students: 35 Chinese students returned to participate in the International Student Exchange Program for the 2016-17 school year.
Grand Oak Elementary School
Festival in the Park: Four students were chosen to represent the school at an outdoor Art Walk. The artists chosen are Sidney Webb, Sydney Dorfman, Kate Cosentine, and Declan Duffy. Their work will be hung during Festival in the Park from Sept. 23-25, in Freedom Park in Charlotte. http://festivalinthepark.org/. Grand Oak is located in Huntersville.