A Confederate monument in Charlotte has been vandalized for the second time in three weeks.
The Confederate monument on North Kings Drive, between the Grady Cole Center and Memorial Stadium, was spray painted on both sides.
The vandalism on one side of the monument now reads: “The cause for which they fought – the cause of slavery – was wrong.” The other side has the names of the nine people killed in the June 2015 shooting at the Emanuel AME Church in Charleston.
This is the second time the Confederate monument has been vandalized. Last month, someone covered the words on the monument with cement.
Never miss a local story.
Many people have taken issue with some of the words engraved on the monument, which read, “Accepting the arbitrament of war, they preserved the Anglo-Saxon civilization of the South and became Master Builders in a Reunited County.”
The monument was built in 1929 after a reunion of Confederate veterans. It was at the center of a Mecklenburg County commissioners debate in early July. Some wanted the monument removed.
Dan Morrill of the Historic Landmarks Commission told commissioners “the monument is a product of its time” and a “surviving artifact of a major public event.”
Morrill said because the monument is on county property, county leaders have to decide what to do, then apply to the Historic Landmarks Commission.
In the end, commissioners did not make any decisions. Instead, they asked County Manager Dena Diorio to review the discussion and determine whether the issue needs to come before the board again.