Towns throughout the area will host tree lightings this weekend to kick off the holiday season.
Many also will offer special activities, carolers and other entertainment, hot cocoa and cookies. Santa will make an appearance at most locations.
For more information, visit the various town websites.
Never miss a local story.
Mint Hill will host its annual tree lighting 7-8:30 p.m. at Mint Hill Town Hall, 4430 Mint Hill Village Lane.
There will be carolers, hot cocoa and apple cider, homemade cookies and Santa Claus. www.minthill.com
• Matthews will host its Hometown Holiday Celebration and tree lighting 3-6 p.m. at Matthews Town Green, 232 Matthews Station St.
There will be kids’ crafts, carriage rides, entertainment, caricature artists, food vendors, interactive displays, photos and Santa. www.matthewsnc.gov
• Pineville’s tree lighting will be from 4-5:30 p.m. at the corner of Main and Church streets, in the parking lot of the old police station.
Other festivities will be next to the Post Office on Church Street: kids craft tent, bounce house, train ride, entertainment and Santa. www.pinevillenc.net.
• Stallings will host its annual tree lighting 6:30-8:30 p.m. in Stallings Park, 315 Stallings Road, featuring hot cocoa, sweets, live music and Santa.www.stallingsnc.org
• Weddington’s tree lighting will be 5-7 p.m. at Weddington Town Hall, 1924 Weddington Road.
There will be carolers, hot chocolate, cookies and Santa. Sandwiches and soup available for purchase. Bring nonperishable food or a new toy to donate to the Union County Christmas Bureau. www.townofweddington.com
• Monroe’s tree lighting will be 6-9 p.m. in downtown Monroe.
There will be trolley and carriage rides, food vendors, Santa, Rudolph and Frosty. Participating downtown shops will host open houses and have special offerings. www.monroenc.org
The Indian Trail Christmas Parade and tree lighting will be 3-6 p.m. at Crossing Paths Park, 120 Blythe Drive. Free activities, hot chocolate, cookies, performances by local schools and studios, and Santa and Mrs. Claus. www.indiantrail.org.
The Waxhaw Christmas Parade will be 3 p.m., in downtown Waxhaw. After the parade, have a snack with Santa. www. waxhaw. com