The former manager of the Best Western in Boone is scheduled for a first appearance in court Tuesday on charges stemming from carbon monoxide poisonings at the hotel.
Two tourists from Washington state died in April, followed in June by the death of an 11-year-old boy and injuries to his mother. Authorities say the deadly gas leaked into the room from the hotel’s swimming pool water heater.
Damon Mallatere, who managed the Best Western and several other hotels in Boone, was indicted in January on three charges of involuntary manslaughter and one of assault inflicting serious bodily injury. Elizabeth Leland