A court hearing for the Boone hotel manager charged with three counts of involuntary manslaughter has been postponed until June.
Damon Mallatere was scheduled to appear in Superior Court on Monday. Mallatere, who ran a Best Western Hotel, is charged in connection with the deaths of Daryl and Shirley Jenkins and Jeffrey Williams -- all of whom were hotel guests who died of carbon monoxide poisoning last year.
Mallatere is also charged with assault inflicting serious bodily injury. Jeanie Williams, the mother of 11-year-old Jeffrey, was found unconscious but survived the poisoning.
The incidents took place in the same hotel room within a two month period. They were caused by gas leaking from an indoor pool heater a floor below.
Never miss a local story.
David Freedman, Mallatere’s attorney, said the hearing was simply given a placeholder on the court’s administrative calendar months ago.
But “at this time, there’s nothing to be heard,” Freedman said.
Freedman said he didn’t know the date of the next hearing.