3 arrested in series of 6 Charlotte robberies
04/30/2014 6:11 PM
04/30/2014 6:13 PM
Three men have been arrested by Charlotte-Mecklenburg police in connection with a series of six robberies during April in east Charlotte.
The suspects were identified as Estavious Davis, 23; Japaul Mobley, 22; and Deshawn Mobley, 22.
Investigators said an off-duty officer from the Hickory Grove Division spotted a suspicious vehicle Saturday and contacted officers from a special crime unit that was working in the area. Officers from that unit stopped the vehicle, and police said they developed information that the two men inside had been involved in an April 22 robbery on Cedars East Court.
The two men in the car – Davis and Deshawn Mobley – were taken in for questioning and charged. Davis was charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon, conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon, and resisting, obstructing and delaying an officer. Mobley was charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon, conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, and carrying a concealed weapon.
Police said further investigation led them to Japaul Mobley, who was arrested Monday on Stoney Glen Drive, near the Charlotte-Mint Hill line. Japaul Mobley was charged with conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon, robbery with a dangerous weapon, and financial card theft.
Police said at least one of the six was involved in these cases:
– Shortly before 10 p.m. April 2, two people said a man robbed them at gunpoint in the 5400 block of Albemarle Road, taking a phone and money.
– About 10:30 p.m. April 14, a woman who had just withdrawn money from an ATM and returned home was robbed at gunpoint by two men in the 8700 block of Parkland Circle, off W.T. Harris Boulevard near Albemarle Road.
– Shortly after 9:30 p.m. April 22, a woman said she was robbed at gunpoint by two men in the parking lot at 5800 Cedars East Court, off Idlewild Road near Independence Boulevard.
– A short time later on April 22, two people reported being robbed of a cell phone and a wallet in the 5900 block of Farm Pond Lane, near Albemarle Road.
– About 10:30 a.m. on April 23, a man reported being robbed at gunpoint by a man in the 7300 block of Elwood Drive, off W.T. Harris Boulevard.
– Around 11:45 p.m. on April 23, a woman said she was robbed at gunpoint by a man in the 7300 block of Mockernut Drive, off Harrisburg Road.
Police allege that Deshawn Mobley was involved in all six cases. Estavious Davis was charged in three of the robberies and Japaul Mobley in two cases, police said.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.