Quick work by York County sheriff’s deputies Tuesday morning led to the arrest of three suspects in a string of eight robberies across Mecklenburg, York and Lancaster counties, authorities say.
Two of the suspects are teens, according to the York County Sheriff’s Office.
A break in the case came about 3:30 a.m. Tuesday, authorities said, after a robbery near Fort Mill. Investigators said a man wearing a bandanna over his face and a red ball cap tried to get into the cash register at the Kangaroo Express in the 3400 block of U.S. 21. The suspect fled, according to the clerk.
Detectives said they immediately recognized the description of the getaway vehicle as similar to that used in two convenience store robberies Friday morning near Fort Mill. A short time later, a deputy spotted the vehicle on Gold Hill Road in Fort Mill, turning onto Interstate 77.
The deputy stopped the vehicle and took the three occupants into custody. They were identified by the sheriff’s office as Dyquane Arin Billings, 19; Trevante Reshaud Bryant, 16; and Tevin Andrew Hindmon, 16. Investigators said the two 16-year-olds are being charged as adults.
The sheriff’s office did not specify the exact charges against the three.
“This was terrific police work by our deputies, detectives and coordination with other surrounding agencies to identify these individuals and ultimately bring them to justice,” York County Sheriff Bruce Bryant said.
Bryant said his office worked with the Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police, and Rock Hill police on the investigation.
Investigators said they have linked the suspects to robberies at these convenience stores:
• Quick Trip, 600 block of North Anderson Road in Rock Hill on May 26.
• Quick Trip, 9500 block of Charlotte Highway in Indian Land on May 27.
• Quick Trip, 4000 block of Charlotte Highway in Lake Wylie on May 29.
• Quick Trip, 9500 block of Charlotte Highway in Indian Land; Sunoco/Sam’s Mart, 2800 block of S.C. 160 in Fort Mill; and BP/Times Turnaround, 1000 block of Carolina Place in Fort Mill. All were on May 30.
• Unspecified convenience store in Charlotte; and the Kangaroo Express, 3400 block of U.S. 21 in Fort Mill on Tuesday.