Arrest warrant issued for Bianca Tanner’s boyfriend
06/23/2014 2:12 PM
06/23/2014 5:01 PM
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have issued an arrest warrant for Angelo Grayson Smith Jr., the boyfriend of Bianca Tanner, a missing teacher whose case has been deemed a homicide.
The arrest warrant is for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Details weren’t available on Monday and it was unclear if the arrest warrant was connected to Tanner’s case. Smith has not been arrested for the misdemeanor, according to jail records.
No one has been arrested or charged in connection with Tanner’s disappearance or killing.
Smith is the last person who saw Tanner, who moved to Charlotte from Greensboro last month, looking to be in a bigger city. She had a lead on a job with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools’ Project LIFT, which seeks to improve educational opportunities for students at West Charlotte High and its eight feeder schools.
Smith told police that Tanner walked out of their apartment just north of uptown following an argument June 7. Two days later, police searched the apartment for evidence that Tanner had been assaulted by Smith.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police obtained the search warrant after investigators interviewed Tanner’s 3-year-old son. The boy told investigators Smith had struck Tanner with a belt and “hurt Mommy in the face.”
“Mommy got a spanking with the belt,” the search warrant quotes the child as saying. “Angelo kicked Mommy’s butt and made her cry ... Angelo is mean to Mommy.”
Smith has been accused of domestic violence in the past and is wanted on an outstanding charge of assaulting a female in Arkansas, according to the search warrant. Smith’s girlfriend at the time reported he “threw her onto the bed and covered her face, both mouth and nose, with his hand, smothering her.”
Arkansas authorities have not requested that out-of-state police agencies extradite Smith to the state to face those misdemeanor charges, said CMPD spokesman Capt. Brian Cunningham.
Smith’s criminal record includes several charges in Greensboro over the past decade. He was charged with simple assault in 2004 and assaulting a woman in 2011.
In 2004, he was charged with burning a schoolhouse and in 2013 he was charged with damaging property.
All the charges were ultimately dismissed.
Two women have previously filed restraining orders against Smith.
In 2011, Smith’s then-wife, Devona Smith, filed a temporary restraining order against him after she said he caused her “extreme emotional distress and bodily harm caused by overreacting.”
Authorities ordered Angelo to stay away from her home and job.
In 2007, Kristen Croskey-Freshwater, Smith’s girlfriend at the time, told a judge that Smith became angry when he spilled juice on the carpet and she refused to clean it up.
Croskey-Freshwater left the apartment, according to the order, but Smith came after her, first gesticulating, then grabbing her.
“He then pulled me by my hair out of the pool & dragged me onto the cement,” Croskey-Freshwater wrote in the restraining order. “Then he threw me over the gate and when I tried to run, he threw me into the bathroom by the pool area where I slammed into the sink.”
“On 9/21/07, Angelo slapped me twice & strangled me for over an hour.” Staff researcher Maria David contributed.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.