A joint effort by local, state and federal law enforcement officials led to the arrest of 20 people on a variety of firearms and drug charges, authorities say.
The sweep, led by the N.C. Department of Public Safety and dubbed “Operation Summer Jam,” targeted suspects in Cabarrus and Mecklenburg counties, according to authorities. They said it took place June 23-26, but the arrests were announced late last week.
“Operations like this one go a long way in helping protect our communities,” said Anne Precythe, director of community supervision for the Department of Public Safety.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police, who were part of the effort, said the operation targeted a number of alleged gang members who were on probation or parole. Joining in the operation were police in Concord and Kannapolis, the Mecklenburg and Cabarrus county sheriff’s offices, the N.C. Highway Patrol, the U.S. Marshals Service and the FBI.
“These efforts should reassure citizens that law enforcement will not allow criminal street gangs to hold them hostage in their own neighborhoods,” said Johnny Hawkins, director of the Department of Public Safety’s Security Services.
Authorities said officers operating in Mecklenburg County conducted 29 searches and seized five firearms, four of which were allegedly stolen; 20 grams of cocaine; 60 grams of marijuana; and more than $10,000 in cash.
In Cabarrus County, officers conducted 20 searches and seized four firearms, 100 grams of marijuana, Ecstasy and prescription pills, and $900 in cash.
Those arrested in Mecklenburg County, according to authorities, were:
Arrested in Cabarrus County, according to authorities, were: