2-county police crackdown yields 18 arrests

07/28/2014 12:27 PM

07/28/2014 12:48 PM

A two-county operation involving local, county, state and federal law enforcement officers resulted in 18 arrests last week across Alexander and Iredell counties, authorities said.

The campaign, dubbed Operation Double Deuce, was led by the sheriff’s offices in Alexander and Iredell counties and was designed to check on the location of 84 registered sex offenders in the two counties. But authorities said they made a number of arrests on other charges during those checks.

Joining the two sheriff’s offices were Taylorsville police, North Carolina Probation and Parole, and the U.S. Marshals Service.

The task force operated Wednesday in Alexander County and checked on 56 registered sex offenders. The next day, the group checked on 28 registered sex offenders in Iredell County.

Six arrests were made in Iredell County and 12 in Alexander County. Arrest information was not available from Alexander County, but those charged in Iredell County were identified as:

• Tony Lee Baynard, possession of drug paraphernalia.
• Paul Colborne, on a federal warrant from the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco.
• Juwan Anthony Hester, failure to register as a sex offender.
• Victoria Lee Ivester (not a sex offender), possession of cocaine, possession of marijuana, maintaining a place for a controlled substance.
• William Cody Ridenhour, on charges of possession of cocaine; possession of marijuana; maintaining a place for a controlled substance; possession of drug paraphernalia; and an outstanding warrant from Caldwell County for nonpayment of child support.
• Craig Lavon Wilson, outstanding child support warrant.

Totals from the two counties:

• 84 registered sex offenders located.
• 15 weapons seized, including 10 rifles and two shotguns, along with several hundred rounds of ammunition.
• Nine people have charges pending against them
• 70 allegedly pornographic VHS tapes seized.
• 17 allegedly pornographic DVDs seized.
• Two computers seized.
• One cellphone seized.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service