Alleged bagman for taxi firms sentenced in arson case

08/13/2014 2:13 PM

08/14/2014 5:59 AM

An alleged bag man in Charlotte’s airport taxi dispute will serve 33 months in federal prison after asking an undercover officer to burn down the house of a rival.

Zulfiqar Ali “Zack” Kacho of Vale had earlier pleaded guilty to the arson-related charge. He was sentenced Wednesday in Charlotte by U.S. District Judge Max Cogburn.

According to court records, Kacho, 40, offered to pay the agent $1,000 to burn down the home of a South Carolina man whom he considered a romantic rival. He pleaded guilty to soliciting a crime of violence in July 2013.

Earlier this year, two disgruntled taxi cab owners, claiming they were unfairly cut out of the city’s new contract with the airport, said they were told by Kacho they would be allowed back in if they paid a $10,000 bribe.

According to the cab owners, Kacho told them the money was to be spread around to former Mayor Patrick Cannon and several city council members.

Kacho, who has been in custody since his March 2013 arrest, has never been charged in connection with the bribery allegations.

His supposed offer surfaced after Cannon was arrested on bribery charges in March.

Several of the cab companies have since filed suit.

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service