Now that Eastway bridge has reopened, a section of Sugar Creek Road is scheduled to close in the same area of northeast Charlotte.
Starting Monday, Sugar Creek will be closed until September 2018 from Northmore to Greensboro streets. The closing will include the north end of North Davidson Street, a route to the NoDa neighborhood and uptown.
Closing Sugar Creek on Monday will allow Charlotte Area Transit System to continue construction of the Lynx Blue Line Extension. The light rail extension is scheduled to open in 2017 and carry passengers between uptown and UNC Charlotte.
NCDOT also has a construction project scheduled during that period when the road will be closed. The $43 million Sugar Creek Road Grade Separation Project is designed to reduce traffic delays along that section of the thoroughfare. The project should also reduce train-to-vehicle collisions at the railroad crossing.
Never miss a local story.
This North Carolina Railroad Company corridor is part of a system that reaches from Charlotte to Raleigh. It’s one of the busiest in the state, according to NCDOT, with more than 30 Norfolk Southern Railroad freight trains and eight Amtrak trains passing through each day.
To improve safety, NCDOT will build a bridge that carries Sugar Creek Road traffic over the existing tracks and over tracks that will be added for the Blue Line Extension.
Other work for the project is expected to include:
▪ Realigning part of North Davidson Street so it meets Sugar Creek at Redwood Avenue.
▪ Extending Bearwood Avenue under the new bridge and connecting it with North Davidson Street.
▪ Building a new connector road from the Greensboro Street-Sugar Creek Road intersection to Raleigh Street, east of the new Sugar Creek Road bridge.
▪ Permanently closing the Craighead Road railroad crossing.
▪ Removing the Northmore Street-Sugar Creek Road intersection.
Interstate repaving scheduled
NCDOT plans to close two interstate ramps repaving Friday and Saturday, weather permitting, including:
▪ The ramp from Statesville Avenue to I-85 North will be closed from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Friday. The right two lanes in I-85 North also will be closed near the exit.
▪ The ramp from I-77 North to N.C. 16 (Exit 11B) will be closed from 11 p.m. Friday until 6 a.m. Saturday.
Karen Sullivan: 704-358-5532, @Sullivan_kms