10 area students win Achievement scholarships
04/09/2014 1:56 PM
04/09/2014 2:59 PM
Ten Charlotte-area students were named this week as winners of Achievement Scholarship awards as part of the National Merit Scholarship program.
The students were among 800 African-American high school seniors across the nation to win scholarships in the annual competition, which offers more than $2 million in awards.
The area winners comprised four from Mecklenburg County, three from Union County, two from York County and one from Catawba County.
Charlotte-area winners and their probable career fields:
Mecklenburg• Brianna Hardeo, Cato Middle College; physical therapy.
• Ebony Hargro, North Mecklenburg High; human rights.
• Tranice Warner, Cato Middle College; civil engineering.
• Christian White, Charlotte Latin; electrical engineering.
Catawba• Kyle Danner, Maiden High; mechanical engineering.
Union• Adrienne Bonar, Marvin Ridge High; mechanical engineering.
• Cara Edwards, Marvin Ridge High; international relations.
• Fhoenix Frager, Marvin Ridge High; anesthesiology.
York• Nathaniel Brown, Rock Hill High; statistics.
• Kristen Tucker, Rock Hill High; chemical engineering.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.