Sixteen teams of students from the Charlotte area were among top finishers in the Odyssey of the Mind World Finals, including teams from South Mecklenburg High School and Mount Pleasant that won or shared world championships.
The teams were among dozens from the Carolinas that joined squads from around the world in the academic tournament last weekend at Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa. World Finals teams qualified through state-level tournaments this year.
Odyssey of the Mind requires teams to solve problems using a variety of academic approaches.
In addition to the local champions, Providence High had three teams among the top finishers, while Myers Park High and Piedmont Middle School of Unionville in Union County had two each.
Never miss a local story.
South Mecklenburg tied for first place with Central Valley, N.Y. Monroe-Woodbury High School in the high school division of the “It’s How We Rule” event. Mount Pleasant Lions Club took first place in the college division of the same event.
Here are other area teams that finished among the leaders:
• Providence High School – tied for eighth place in “It’s How We Rule” with Fort Mitchell, Ky., Beechwood School, STFA Lee Shau Kee College of Hong Kong and Savannah, Ga., Arts Academy. Tied for 11th place in “Seeing Is Believing” with Middletown, Del., Appoquinimink High. And tied for 15th in “Not-So-Haunted House” with Minghang High of Shanghai, China.
• Myers Park High School – second in “Stackable Structure”; tied for 13th in “Not-So-Haunted House” with Retsof, N.Y., York Central School.
• Unionville Piedmont Middle – fourth in “Drivers Test”; tied for eighth place in “It’s How We Rule” with Qingdao Junior High of Qingdao, China.
• Carmel Middle School – third in “Seeing Is Believing.”
• Charlotte Latin School – second in “Seeing Is Believing.”
• Community House Middle School – 26th in “Stackable Structure.”
• Lake Norman Charter School – 22nd in “Stackable Structure.”
• Monroe Kiwanis Club – tied for 10th in Elementary Division of “Not-So-Haunted House” with Anglo Chinese School of Singapore.
• Olympic High – 31st in “Drivers Test.”
• Trinity Episcopal School – 12th in Elementary Division of “Not-So-Haunted House.”