Central Avenue in Charlotte reopened shortly after 7 a.m. Friday near the old Eastland Mall and Sharon Amity Road.
The road had been closed for well over an hour after a bicyclist was hit by a vehicle Friday morning, police said.
The bicyclist was taken to Carolinas Medical Center with life-threatening injuries, according to Medic. The hit-and-run accident happened shortly after 5 a.m., police said. Drivers can expect heavy congestion in the area.
And an accident on Interstate 85 South near Graham Street is causing heavy congestion through the university area.
Some good news for commuters: Sharon Road has reopened at Sulkirk Road. The intersection had been closed since the end of February while crews replaced a drinking water pipe.
Elsewhere, at 8:55 a.m., here were the problem spots:
▪ Accident on I-85 N. at mile marker 42 in the university area has the right lane blocked. There also are reports of a tractor-trailer leaking fuel in the area.
▪ Traffic light malfunction at N. Tryon Street and E. Mallard Creek Church Road.
▪ Disabled vehicle on Beatties Ford Road at Hambright Road.
▪ Accident on Sharon Amity Road at Shamrock Drive.
▪ Accident on Billy Graham Parkway at Wilkinson Boulevard.
▪ Disabled vehicle on Statesville Road at Stumptown Road.
▪ Accident on Rea Road at Ballantyne Commons Parkway.
▪ Accident on Brookshire Boulevard at Mount Holly-Huntersville Road.
▪ Traffic light malfunction at N.C. 73 and McGuire Nuclear Station Road.
▪ Accident on Sunset Road at I-77 N.
▪ Accident on Providence Road at Ardrey Kell Road.
▪ Accident on W. W.T. Harris Boulevard at Medical Plaza Drive.
▪ Accident on N.C. 24 at IBM Drive.
▪ Accident on S. Tryon Street at Carowinds Boulevard.
▪ Accident in the 1800 block of Pineville-Matthews Road.
▪ Accident on Hambright Road at Statesville Road.
▪ Accident on W. W.T. Harris Boulevard at Mallard Creek Road.
▪ Accident on Monroe Road at Sardis Road N.
▪ Accident on Sunset Road at Statesville Road.
▪ Congestion inbound on U.S. 74.
Central Ave. accident site