Central Avenue in Charlotte reopened shortly after 7 a.m. Friday near the old Eastland Mall and Sharon Amity Road.
The road had been closed for well over an hour after a bicyclist was hit by a vehicle Friday morning, police said.
The bicyclist was taken to Carolinas Medical Center with life-threatening injuries, according to Medic. The hit-and-run accident happened shortly after 5 a.m., police said. Drivers can expect heavy congestion in the area.
And an accident on Interstate 85 South near Graham Street is causing heavy congestion through the university area.
Never miss a local story.
Some good news for commuters: Sharon Road has reopened at Sulkirk Road. The intersection had been closed since the end of February while crews replaced a drinking water pipe.
Elsewhere, at 8:55 a.m., here were the problem spots:
▪ Accident on I-85 N. at mile marker 42 in the university area has the right lane blocked. There also are reports of a tractor-trailer leaking fuel in the area.
▪ Traffic light malfunction at N. Tryon Street and E. Mallard Creek Church Road.
▪ Disabled vehicle on Beatties Ford Road at Hambright Road.
▪ Accident on Sharon Amity Road at Shamrock Drive.
▪ Accident on Billy Graham Parkway at Wilkinson Boulevard.
▪ Disabled vehicle on Statesville Road at Stumptown Road.
▪ Accident on Rea Road at Ballantyne Commons Parkway.
▪ Accident on Brookshire Boulevard at Mount Holly-Huntersville Road.
▪ Traffic light malfunction at N.C. 73 and McGuire Nuclear Station Road.
▪ Accident on Sunset Road at I-77 N.
▪ Accident on Providence Road at Ardrey Kell Road.
▪ Accident on W. W.T. Harris Boulevard at Medical Plaza Drive.
▪ Accident on N.C. 24 at IBM Drive.
▪ Accident on S. Tryon Street at Carowinds Boulevard.
▪ Accident in the 1800 block of Pineville-Matthews Road.
▪ Accident on Hambright Road at Statesville Road.
▪ Accident on W. W.T. Harris Boulevard at Mallard Creek Road.
▪ Accident on Monroe Road at Sardis Road N.
▪ Accident on Sunset Road at Statesville Road.
▪ Congestion inbound on U.S. 74.
Central Ave. accident site