N.C. House toughens carbon monoxide alerts

06/03/2014 5:23 PM

06/04/2014 6:48 AM

The N.C. House on Tuesday unanimously passed a bill broadening and clarifying laws on carbon monoxide alerts in hotels and other lodgings.

Passed 114-0, the bill mirrors a measure passed last month by the Senate and comes as a response to last year’s deaths at a Boone hotel.

Like the Senate measure, the bill would require carbon monoxide alarms, not just detectors, near heaters, appliances and fireplaces that burn combustion fuels. It applies to extended-stay tourist homes, bed and breakfast properties, as well as hotels.

The bill would rewrite portions of a law enacted last year after three people died of carbon monoxide poisoning at the Best Western in Boone. Jim Morrill

Editor's Choice Videos

Join the Discussion

Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service