Patrick Cannon’s lawyers filed a request Monday to delay his sentencing in the public corruption case against him.
Cannon, a Democrat, pleaded guilty June 3 to a corruption charge filed earlier this year while he was mayor of Charlotte. The current date for sentencing is Sept. 25.
The motion filed on Monday says one or more witnesses are unavailable for that date and asks U.S. District Judge Frank Whitney to delay sentencing until Oct. 13. Prosecutors have no objection to the new date, Cannon’s lawyers said in their motion.
A spokeswoman for U.S. Attorney Anne Tompkins, whose staff is prosecuting the former mayor, said the office had no comment Monday on the request for a delay.
Cannon has confessed to accepting more than $50,000 in bribes from FBI undercover agents, who posed as out-of-town developers. An affidavit in the case also says Cannon solicited $1.2 million in additional kickbacks during a meeting in the mayor’s office. The agents said they needed Cannon’s help in getting approvals for a mixed-used development to be built along a transit line.
He was secretly under investigation when he was elected mayor last year. He was arrested March 26 and resigned as mayor the same day.
The charge carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine. Under sentencing guidelines, Cannon faces 63 to 78 months in prison.
The U.S. Attorney’s Office has said the corruption investigation remains open. Both the city of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County governments have been ordered to turn over a multitude of records related to the investigation. No one else has been charged in the case.
As part of his plea agreement, Cannon admitted taking $2,000 in cash from strip club owner David “Slim” Baucom, who sought help in mitigating the impact to one of his clubs from construction of the Lynx Blue Line extension on North Tryon Street.
Cannon also agreed to help the federal government continue its investigation. His level of cooperation could lead prosecutors to ask the judge to raise or lower his sentence.