How to Get Help

06/04/2009 12:20 PM

02/03/2015 11:36 AM

If you're a homeowner behind on mortgage payments or facing foreclosure, here are some places to call for information or help:

 Contact the company that services your loan as soon as possible. They may be willing to adjust your payments.

 You can also contact a counseling agency, which can work with the lender on your behalf. In Charlotte, United Family Services offers counseling at 704-332-9034. Outside Charlotte, you can find a local agency by calling the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development at 800-569-4287 or online at

 You can also call a national nonprofit, the Home Ownership Preservation Foundation, at 888-995-4673.

If you believe your home purchase may involve illegal or unethical work by real estate professionals, contact:

N.C. Appraisal Board: 919-870-4854 or

N.C. Banking Commission (which licenses loan officers and mortgage brokers): 919-733-3016 or

N.C. Real Estate Commission: 919-875-3700 or

The N.C. Attorney General Consumer Protection Division: 877-566-7226 or

The FBI: 704-377-9200 in North Carolina.

Join the Discussion

Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service