The Charlotte 49ers have dismissed five players as an investigation into hazing in the baseball program continues.
UNC Charlotte Philip Dubois Chancellor said in a statement Friday that two more players have been suspended indefinitely from the team. That is in addition to others who were suspended on Nov. 21.
Dubois also said he recommended to athletics director Judy Rose that baseball operations, which had been halted in November, be resumed.
The university has not named any of the players who have been disciplined.
Never miss a local story.
The 49ers have already been taken off Georgia’s schedule for a season-opening series in Athens, Ga., because of uncertainty whether Charlotte would be able to play. No other scheduling changes appear to have been made. Officials at Akron and College of Charleston – the 49ers’ next two opponents – say they have not been contacted by Charlotte about canceling or rescheduling games.
In a statement released Friday, Dubois termed the investigation as “ongoing.”
“If any evidence of additional misconduct, as defined by the University Code of Student Responsibility, becomes known, additional measures will be taken,” Dubois said in the statement. “The University stands firm in its resolve that there is no place for hazing, bullying or misconduct at UNC Charlotte.”
The investigation is being conducted outside the athletics department by UNCC’s Student Affairs Division under the direction of the Office of Legal Affairs in accordance with the university’s Code of Student Responsibility.