Charlotte (0-0) at Campbell (0-0)
7 p.m., Barker-Lane Stadium, Buies Creek
Radio: WFNZ (610-AM)
Never miss a local story.
Scouting the Camels
Campbell has 18 starters returning from a team that lost 52-7 to Charlotte and went 3-9 last season … The Camels’ offensive line returns all five starters, led by center Dalton Brown and left guard Will Sawyer, both of whom are on preseason all-star lists … Defensive lineman Ugonna Awuruonye played for Campbell coach Mike Minter at Concord’s First Assembly Christian … Senior quarterback Dakota Wolf played in seven games last season, completing 73.1 percent of his passes … The Camels, a nonscholarship Football Championship Subdivision program, play at Appalachian State next week.
Matchup to watch
Charlotte NG Larry Ogunjobi vs. Campbell C Dalton Brown: Ogunjobi anchor’s Charlotte’s 3-4 defense, and he played well in last season’s game against Campbell, finishing with 1.0 tackle-for-loss and helping the 49ers limit the Camels to 287 yards in total offense. Brown went on to earn second-team all-Pioneer League honors and anchors an offensive line that returns all five starters.
By the numbers
1 More yard needed by QB Matt Johnson last season to total 3,000 total yards (2,581 passing, 418 rushing).
3 Running back Kalif Phillips’ jersey number (changed from 25 last season).
4 Consecutive home games to finish season (James Madison, Coastal Carolina, Wesley, Morehead State).
16 Starters returning for Charlotte (8 offense, 8 defense).
• Thursday’s game against Charlotte will be the ninth in Campbell history against a scholarship program. The Camels are 0-8 so far, losing by an average score of 43-17.
• This is the first of two night games the 49ers will play this season (he 49ers play at Elon at 7 p.m. Sept. 20). Charlotte played just once at night last season (at James Madison). The 49ers will have lights at Richardson Stadium in 2015.
• The 49ers came through preseason camp relatively healthy. Center Thomas La Bianca (knee) is expected to miss Thursday’s game. Reserve running back Donjour Gainey will miss about a month with a knee injury.
• The scheduling of tonight’s game worked out pretty well for 49ers radio play-by-play man Matt Swierad, who also handles radio duties for baseball’s Charlotte Knights. The Knights finished a two-game series at Norfolk on Wednesday, so Swierad was able to drive to the football game in Buies Creek, which is on the way to the Atlanta area, where the Knights play the Gwinnett Braves on Friday.
• No. 7 Coastal Carolina is the only ranked team on the 49ers schedule, although James Madison, Charleston Southern and Gardner-Webb all received votes in the Sports Network preseason FCS poll.
“Two guys are going to show up for sure: That guy named Momentum, sometimes you’ve got to fight him. And Mr. Adversity will be there as well.” – 49ers coach Brad Lambert.