This was the first summer since Nic Batum’s rookie season (2008-09) that he didn’t play for the French national team. His first priority this season: cutting down on his team-high 194 turnovers last season. That was 2.5 per game.
▪ Coach Steve Clifford’s stated team goal: “Top five in defense, top 10 in offense.”
▪ Clifford: “We have a playoff roster. ...The thing we didn’t do last season is keep getting better.”
▪ Kaminsky said last season the Hornets were victim to Murphy's Law, in that everything that could go wrong did. “It felt like every back-breaking three or every play the other team needed to make just happened last year,” Kaminsky said. “Like, nothing went our way.”
▪ Forward Marvin Williams was watching the “Real Housewives of New Jersey” when he got a text message saying the team had traded for center Dwight Howard. He thought it was a joke and didn't answer - until Kemba Walker called after the show finished to tell him the same news.
▪ Rookie Malik Monk tried to do his media day interview ahead of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, but the veteran wasn't having it. The two former Kentucky Wildcats argued briefly, but after discussion agreed to do the interview together. As Monk walked to his seat, MKG called Monk “his son,” to which Monk replied, “No, I'm not.”
▪ Howard, who the team traded for this offseason from Atlanta, began his news conference with an imaginary diatribe about Charlotte beating Golden State in the NBA Finals, including Kidd-Gilchrist getting a rebound over Stephen Curry.
Bonnell: 704-358-5129: @rick_bonnell