• Funny line from Atlanta Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer when asked his reaction to point guard Jeff Teague being named Eastern Conference Player of the Week: “I said, ‘Congratulations. Now get back on defense.’ ”
• That Budenholzer chose to rest some starters with nagging injuries was no surprise. The eighth-seeded Hawks can’t move up in the standings and Budenholzer’s former boss, San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, always has believed in resting veterans.
Never miss a local story.
• Not that anyone would expect a Monday night Hawks-Bobcats game to be a big draw in Atlanta, but attendance was so sparse they could have curtained off the upper deck at Philips Arena.
• Bobcats coach Steve Clifford was asked before the game why he felt it was important that Kemba Walker play in at least one of the team’s final four regular-season games. Clifford said a player used to playing as many minutes as Walker can fall out of rhythm by missing four or five days of activity.
• A little kid in the front row was nearly run over in a scramble for a loose ball. The kid bounced back quickly and enjoyed the fist-pumps and shoes he got from the players afterward.